Boston Terriers can be an enigma sometimes especially if you’re a newbie dog parent of these amazing furballs! They are one of the most loyal and playful terrier breeds; they just can’t seem to stop vying for your attention. Boston terrier’s temperament is a gift to this world and we all kind of don’t deserve all the love they’re willing to give to us. So, to know them more intimately we’ve compiled a list of Boston Terrier facts for you! Who doesn’t love to read trivia especially about their new pup right?
Here’s a list of 15 Boston Terrier Facts You Didn’t Know About
- Boston Terriers are the first dog breed to be developed in America.
- Many Boston’s are birthed via C-Section because their big ol’ heads are prone to get stuck.
- Massachusetts has claimed the Boston Terrier as their official state dog, since 1979.
- Boston’s were originally bred for dogfighting. Back then they were bred to be a bigger size then they are today. Over the years they have been bred down to be the little fun-sized peanuts they are today.
- They have a relatively long life span. Boston’s usually live up to 11- 15 years of age.
- Although the more popular colorings of Boston Terriers would be black and white, they have a vast range of colors. Such as brindle, seal, liver, yellow, red and white, brown, and cream.
- Have you ever noticed a black circle or dot centered atop your Boston’s head in between its ears? This is known as a “Haggerty Dot” or “The Kiss of God”. Boston’s with this dot are descendants from the original lines of Boston Terriers. Owned by the Haggerty family in the 1900s.
- Besides the nicknames you have for them, they are also famously known as “America’s Gentlemen” or “Tuxedo dogs”.
- Have you heard of Sergeant Stubby? He was a decorated Boston Terrier war hero in WW1. As if that’s not cool enough he was taught how to salute to his fellow military brothers.
- We all know about the Wizard of Oz, and “their precious dog too” Toto. Did you know though, that in some of the books, Toto was a Boston Terrier? Pretty cool.
- Although Boston’s have “terrier” in their name the CKC (Canadian Kennel Club) and the AKC (American Kennel Club) does not recognize them as a terrier. You can find them under “Non – Sporting Dogs”.
- Stinky! As you know Boston’s have the most adorable smushy faces, but their short muzzles also take in a lot of air. And when air comes in it must go out somewhere.
- Boston Terriers and French bulldogs are often confused for one another. The best way for you to tell is to look at their ears. Boston’s have pointy ears, and Frenchies have round ears.
- How did Boston Terriers come to be? Well, they were crossbred with an English Bulldog and a white English Terrier.
- Some Boston Terriers never bark at all.
So, what did you think? A little wiser after all? Did you know most of them already? Either way, these could be very valuable notes to store, who knows where and when you might need them! If you want to read more about them, here are 11 Boston Terrier health issues you need to know.